Holiday Foods That Your Pet Shouldn’t Eat

Holiday Foods That Your Pet Shouldn’t Eat

It’s a safe bet that a lot of your holiday celebrations will involve food—it’s one of our favorite parts of the season! Did you know that many common holiday foods can prove dangerous for our animal friends? Here, your Upper Arlington, OH vet tells you more.

Rich, Fatty, and Buttery Foods
Rich, fatty, or buttery foods aren’t toxic per say, but they’re hazardous all the same. Rich or buttery foods will almost certainly upset a pet’s stomach if they ingest too much, most likely leading to bouts of vomiting or diarrhea. Too much fat at one time is even more dangerous—it can lead to a case of acute pancreatitis! Don’t allow your pet to chow down on buttery, rich, or fatty foods this holiday season.

Garlic and Onions
Garlic and onions are categorized in the allium family of foods, along with shallots, chives, leeks, and scallions. They’re all toxic for pets! Raw garlic and onions are the most potent and therefore the most hazardous, but it’s important to keep your pet’s prying paws away from all of these foods. Even foods that contain onions or related foods as an ingredient can prove dangerous.

Grapes and Raisins
To this day, it’s not known exactly what component found in grapes and raisins can poison pets. Some animals even seem to be able to ingest these fruits without experiencing health trouble. Nevertheless, grapes and raisins have been known to cause toxic reactions in both cats and dogs—don’t allow your animal companion to chow down!

Sweet Treats
Chocolate, as you probably know, is very bad for pets. It contains chemicals like theobromine and caffeine, neither of which agree with our four-legged friends. Eating too much chocolate will cause a pet to experience excessive drooling, uncoordinated movements, vomiting, diarrhea, collapse, and worse if left untreated.

Many candies and gum varieties are sweetened with xylitol, an artificial sugar that is toxic to pets. Don’t let your pet get near the holiday sweets! Keep chocolate and candy in closed containers or inside of cabinets, where pets don’t have access.

Will your holiday celebrations include alcoholic beverages? Liquor, beer, wine, and champagne can all harm our animal companions—alcohol can poison them in very small amounts! Keep a close eye on all drinks.

Would you like to know more about keeping your pet safe during the holidays? Contact your Upper Arlington, OH veterinary clinic.